A crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over the entire tooth to improve its strength and appearance. Crowns can be made from many types of material such as porcelain, ceramic, gold or metal. Our Professional Dentistry team at our Cranbourne Clinic, recommends a crown service in the following situations:
- when the existing tooth is severely weakened
- when a tooth is made up of a large amount of filling
- to cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth for cosmetic enhancement
- to protect a root canal tooth
- to prevent a tooth from fracturing
- when attaching a bridge to replace a missing tooth
A dental crown will require two appointments. At Cranbourne Dental Centre, in your first appointment, one of our dentists will reshape the tooth to make it suitable to receive a crown. A mould impression will be made and sent to our experienced dental technicians. For the second appointment, your crown will be cemented in. This will provide a long-term aesthetic restorative solution.
A bridge is similar to a crown but is used to replace one or several missing teeth. A bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap — these two or more anchoring teeth are called “abutment teeth” — and false tooth/teeth in between. The fabrication process is very similar to those having crowns and requires two appointments.